According to the Center for Disease Control, approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur each year in the United States. Dog bites can cause pain, injury, and nerve damage. Almost 1 out of 5 bites becomes infected, placing the bite victim at risk for illness or even death.
The Florida Health Department reports that each year, over 600 Floridians are hospitalized due to injuries from dog bites, and an average of two Floridians die from dog bites.
A common cause of dog bites is protective behavior which occurs regularly both on and off the dog owner’s property. Dogs that are off their owner’s property and off-leash are the source of approximately 32% of all dog bites reported and 89% involve dogs unknown to the victim.
If you are bitten:
- Control the bleeding and wash the area of the bite with soap and water.
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Call the police immediately to report your bite.
- Report the bite to your local county health department and animal control agency.
- Call the Young Law Firm of Florida
To schedule your initial consultation and discuss how we can help you, Email or Call us today!